We want to inform readers about a recent change that we’ve made at Gig Buddies HQ.
As you may know, we launched the Gig Buddies Central Coast (GBCC) branch last year and I (Matthew, Gig Buddies Central Coast Coordinator) have been working to grow the community ever since.
Due to the growth of both GBCC and Gig Buddies Sydney, we have made the decision to include the Ku-ring-gai and Hornsby Shire suburbs of Sydney within the Gig Buddies Central Coast catchment area. This change took place on the July 1 2022.
For those living within the Ku-ring-gai and Hornsby Shire areas of Sydney, this means that you are now classed as being part of the Gig Buddies Central Coast project.
What does this mean for you?
- This is purely an administrative change. This will not impact your experience with Gig Buddies.
- You can still attend both Gig Buddies Sydney and Gig Buddies Central Coast events.
- You will continue to be matched with your current buddy, or if you are currently unpaired - we will continue in our attempts to pair you with someone suitable.
What changes can I expect?
The main things that will change are:
- For signed up buddies, future NDIS Service Agreements will now state Gig Buddies Central Coast, not Gig Buddies Sydney.
- For those living within the Ku-ring-gai and Hornsby Shire areas of Sydney, I will now be your main point of contact. As such, I will be responsible for all check-ins.
My contact details are: 0402 708 814
What about Gig Buddies’ social events?
Gig Buddies’ social events will continue to take place on a monthly basis and will now be shared across the Central Coast, Hornsby and Ku-ring-gai areas.
Participants from both the Central Coast and Sydney branches are welcome to attend all Gig Buddies' events.
Room at the inn
Tickets are still available for our planned outing to the Shire.
We invite you to join us on Friday 22 July for the Jellybean Jam Party, taking place at Gymea Hotel.
To attend, load up the link below.
Our trip to the The Art Gallery of NSW and the pub lunch gathering at Manly’s New Brighton Hotel have both sold out. Due to staff illness, the planned outing to the NRL in Gosford has been cancelled.
We’re delighted to introduce the newest member of Gig Buddies’ user-led team, Soul Fly Band.
For those not in the know, Soul Fly Band are an advisory group of participants set up to oversee and advise the Gig Buddies project. They catch up monthly and help shape the program going forward.
Karen joins existing members Stavros, Lachy, Audrey, Jack, Nalyn and Joni.
Here’s what she had to say about joining Gig Buddies’ advisory group:
A little bit about me: I live on the Central Coast. I am a mum to a little boy; he makes my life a lot brighter. Things I like doing with my Gig Buddy Lisa include going to the movies, going to lunch, taking our kids to the park, going to different fun events etc. I am currently looking for part-time work in administration.
Why I joined Soul Fly Band: I joined the Soul Fly Band because I am thankful for what Gig Buddies has done for me and I want other people to have that opportunity, especially here on the Central Coast. I hope my ideas can contribute to that.
Best gig I’ve ever been to: Missy Higgins and John Butler Trio at A Day on the Green in the Hunter Valley. The best thing I’ve ever been to with my gig buddy was a family day out to Central Coast Comicon.
Can you help us?
A few weeks ago we ran an appeal, looking for very specific volunteers.
We renew that appeal today: can you, or someone you know, help us? We’re looking for following type of volunteers:
- Female. Based in Bateau Bay (or surrounding area). Mid 20s - mid 30s in age; into 80s metal / glam rock / heavy metal. Likes animals, going to the cinema and karaoke.
- Female. Based in Umina (or surrounding area). Mid 20s - mid 30s in age; a lover of watching live sport (union, league, soccer, netball). Keen on travelling to Sydney to watch a match.
- Male or female. Based in Wyong (or surrounding area). Early 30s in age; likes amateur radio, into Marvel / action films, bush walking and stage shows.
- Female. Based in Umina (or surrounding area). 18 - early 30s in age; likes arts and craft, art galleries, watching a sports match, horror movies.
- Male. Based in Hamlyn Terrace (or surrounding area). Early 30s in age; likes the outdoors, going to the movies, checking out live music, having a bite to eat and a game of pool.
As a reminder of how it all works, we match adults with disability with volunteers, both of whom share a mutual interest(s). Age, gender and location preferences are also taken into consideration; once ‘buddies’ are matched up they attend events or gigs of their choosing.
Matched buddies catch up 1 - 2 times per month, partaking in their passions. We're all about expanding social circles and making new friends!
Do you fit the bill, or do you know someone who does? You can connect with the Gig Buddies Central Coast team team via Facebook, text or phone call (0402 708 814), or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, those interested can jump straight to our volunteer online application form by loading up the following link.
Gig Buddies at the UN
In other news, the brains behind the original Gig Buddies project based in Brighton, Stay Up Late, have made the ultimate splash!
Their work got a mention at the UN World Urban Forum.
In line with this year’s theme of ‘working to build sustainable, disability responsive and inclusive cities’, Gig Buddies was name-dropped at the Persons with Disabilities Roundtable at the Eleventh World Urban Forum (WUF11) in Poland.
To hear more, load up this link and jump to the 59 minute mark.
COVID-19 Vaccinations update
The NSW Chief Health Officer has extended the current exemption that allows workers (and volunteers) who have received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine to continue to work if they have been assessed as being essential to the operation of the service.
All workers (and volunteers) who have not yet received their booster must also take reasonable steps to get the booster as soon as practical. The exemption has been extended to September 6 2022.
If you haven’t done this yet, it’s important that you send the latest copy of your vaccination certificate to Gig Buddies ASAP. The certificate must show the dates on which you have received all THREE doses of the COVID vaccine.
Similarly, for those who have been granted an exemption from a medical professional, we require a copy of any relevant documentation.
You can access your vaccination certificate through your Medicare or MyGov account. Please send this certificate to email@example.com or via text/WhatsApp it to 0411 252 228.
Gig Buddies Central Coast coordinator
Would you like more information about Gig Buddies Central Coast? You’re only a click away. Connect with us via the links below.
Fancy revelling in legendary status? If so, please support us in our cause to get more people out to live events in Sydney.
Donations over $2 are tax deductible and all are gratefully received.
Gig Buddies Central Coast is an initiative of ACL Disability Services.